8.03.2013

It's a Cinch Tote + Custom Made Accessories ; ) Super Online Sewing Match Round #3


["It's a Cinch Tote" with custom straps]



[Front with Patch Pocket]

I'm soooo happy you stopped by to see my latest project in the "Super Online Sewing Match"!
The third challenge is to make Lisa Lam's "It's a Cinch" Tote Bag.  Looking at the pattern and its simplicity, I knew I wanted this project to be about the fabric, special pockets, and custom made accessories to go with the bag.  This bag is on the larger size, so I took the opportunity to add lots of pocket and personalize with the things I most want and often find lacking in a tote bag.
This will be my "go to" beach bag for the rest of this summer!!!
 I love to make bags so this was a particularly fun challenge for me.
 

[Outside bag with zipper pocket]

The pattern calls for one outside zipper pocket with a hidden pocket bag.  I decide to use Melody Miller's "Ruby Star"  print for the pockets and straps and thought it should be the star of the show.  The body of the bag is "Stamped" by Ellen Luckett Baker.  The pattern calls for one zip pocket with inside pocket bags but I opted for outside pockets on both sides of the bag.

Fusible fleece was applied to the wrong side of the outside panels and then the panels were quilted in a 2" diamond pattern to give the tote more dimension and stability.



[Outside pocket detail]

 One pocket is a patch pocket fussy cut to show off the print and finished with a bound edge.
 
[Outside Pocket with zipper]

The other side has a zipper pocket which showcases the print and  the fun fabric design. 
Both outside pockets fit my IPad Mini or my kid's Kindles!

The pattern calls for purchased straps but I decided to make the straps a design element and created my own from the same fabric. 

[Inside lining pocket detail]

This inside pocket is completely clean finished and has an elastic top casing.
 To make a similar pocket, check our my  tulip bag tutorial
I added a self fabric loop and swivel clasp to the outside of the pocket. 
It is perfect for attaching a change purse. 
The change purse combines Essex Linen and a new print by Melody Miller.  The change purse pattern can be found Here.


[Inside lining pocket detail]

The clasp is also perfect for attaching your keys. 
The cute leaf key fob pattern is by Leila of Where the Orchids Grow.
 


[Inside lining pocket detail]
 
On the other side of the lining I wanted to have enough pockets for sketch books,
pens and pencils as well as my phone. 
All the items that I like to have easy access to that often end up in the bottom of my bag!

[Custom accessories - matching coin purse and eyeglass case]

Besides the coin purse I also made an eyeglass case.  Another item I've been wanting to make for the longest time and this seemed like the perfect opportunity!
 I used the same Stamped fabric with a linen flap and self fabric covered button
 that matches the lining.
This fabulous pattern is also by Leila of Where the Orchids grow.
[Custom matching Clutch Purse]


I wanted to make sure I had a smaller purse for this tote.  I created this clutch purse which is the perfect size to hold all you essential including the coin purse!




[ Tote with adjustable messenger bag style strap]

Since this is such a large bag, I wanted the option to carry it cross body or messenger style.
I created a custom, adjustable strap (just add double D-Rings) that are easily attached to the swivel clasps at the top corners.



[Tote Bag cinched]
 

I'll have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of the cinching option - but I love it! 
The tote looks completely different when it is cinched. More like a modern box bag than a tote!




[Tote Bag cinched - side view]

The cinching on the corners creates a nice boxy shape!



[Zipper Detail]

A pic of the zipper per the judges request : )





And lastly, (thanks for hanging in there) an on body picture.


***Here is a recap of the custom details I added***
 
1. Quilted outside body panels.
2. Outside patch pockets - one zipper pocket and one patch pocket. Both are sized for an IPad mini or Kindle.
3. Custom made straps.
4. Self Fabric zipper pull.
5. Clean finished, extra large, inside lining pocket with gathered top and a loop and swivel clasp for attaching keys or a coin purse.
6.  Inside lining pocket to hold sketch books, pens and pencils and a cell phone.
7.  Matching clutch purse.
8.  Matching coin purse.
9.  Matching eyeglass case.
10. Custom adjustable strap to convert to a cross body or messenger bag.

A few tips when sewing this pattern:
1. Use a size 18 needle! Very important especially when you sew the "cinch tabs" to the corners of the bag. Also helpful when sewing the straps to the bag!
2. If you don't already have one, invest in a walking foot for your machine. I was able to sew through many layers thanks to my walking foot!  I honestly wouldn't attempt this bag on a home machine without one.  I love my walking foot!!!!!!!
3. Baste the cinch tabs in place. Super important! It is not fun stitching the corners to find you have to rip out the seam because the cinch tabs are not centered. Baste first and you won't have to rip!!!
 4. My local fabric store did not have rectange rings so I used D- rings which work just fine!

 Thanks for reading through and making it to the end.  And thank you Sew Mam Sew and Lisa Lam for a fabulous challenge and pattern!!!
 
xo
Charise
 

20 comments:

  1. What an incredible ensemble of makes....your skill is amazing! You are certainly rising to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Everything is beautiful and what an incredible group of accessories you made! Great job and good luck with the rest of the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing amount of work you've put into this bag. Truely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the whole line up of bags and accessories! Your sewing skills are very professional and make your items extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very impressed with the perfect sewing and interesting fabrics used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bag ~ you chose really great fabrics and all the extras you put on it are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had a lot of fun with this Charise! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this fabric but I especially love how you highlighted it! You have done a fabulous job! Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, as I lift my jaw from the ground, the only word I can think of is...STUNNING!
    Thanks for the sewing tips at the end; I am attempting to sew this pattern myself. Good luck in the contest--your work is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing Charise! I hope everyone realizes how amazing even the straps are on your bag...getting them to line up that way and perfectly match is an extra detail that you added to make the most of the MM fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!!! What a pleasure to see your beautiful bag!!! I love love love it. You are a sewing rock-star Charise.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like all the accessories that you made and that they can clip to the interior!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Wow! Amazing job Charise! just perfect! I sooo want to make one, like now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did an amazing job. I love the fabric choices and you have great vision.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful tote. I love the detail and thought you placed into this project. I'm sure the judges would love it as well.

    One word of caution though: You should remove that picture of your key from your blog. Why? Because now I can make a copy of your key: http://hackaday.com/2009/09/22/photographic-key-duplication/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on moving on to Round 4!!! I knew you'd do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. JUST AMMMAAZZZZZZZING!!! So much fine work!!!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new bag ~ sew cute!!
    I have to tell you that I just recently found your blog and became a follower. My middle name is also Charise and it is spelled the exact same way!! My mother named me after Cyd Charisse, but dropped the extra 's'. I used to go by Charise in college many moons ago and have always loved that name!
    We have more in common too~ I have 2 sons as well and love to sew, stitch, etc.
    Please come by for a visit sometime. I'm sure I'll come back again soon. Can't wait to try some of your tutorials!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all amazing. Your sewing always has so much precision and flair. The eye glass case is my absolute favourite though. Thanks for the pattern link..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!